I watched Picnic the other night. I adore this film for several reasons:
- The line ‘Oh Bomber, don’t be forever a creep.’
- The sultry, seductive way Miss Novak claps her hands.
- The enthused way Cliff Robertson says ‘Hal Carter’
- The moment William Holden’s shirt gets ripped
- The montage of the quirky, odd and oh so americana picnic scenes.
- The way William Holden interrupts his speech to say a very simple but endearing ‘Hi’ to Miss Novak, whose sitting on the swing.
- The final ‘break,’ embellished by the music between mother and daughter.
- The questions it raises on what it is to be conventionally ‘male’ and ‘female’ in the 1950s.
The sultry, seductive hand clap scene: